our mission and vision
College Mentors for Kids' mission is to connect college students with the most to give to kids who need it most. We bring that mission to life by fostering inspiration to transform lives, education to change attitudes and connections to increase opportunities. Our vision is to help school kids look forward sooner and be able to give back later.
Check out our videos to see how College Mentors is making a difference.
activities that make an impact
Activities help kids discover personal interests, skills and potential careers by focusing on three main areas of development: higher education and career, community service, and culture and diversity. Weekly activities depend on the developmental and educational level of individual children.
- Higher education and career activities help kids understand college, different career opportunities and the training required for each. For example, kids might travel to a biology lab to learn how plants photosynthesize and hear a professor speak about botany. Programming also covers subjects like:
- Financial literacy: Teaching kids the importance of earning, saving and spending money wisely
- Health and wellness: Focusing on nutrition, physical fitness, hygiene and personal growth
- Science: Giving children the opportunity to participate in experiments and mini-projects with the guidance of college professors
- Technology: Helping kids build computer skills and awareness, and learn how technology plays a role in higher education and careers
- Culture and diversity activities teach kids about the different heritages represented in our communities. Kids learn about the many languages, food, visual and performing arts, and histories of other cultural groups.
- Community service activities empower kids to make a positive difference. For example, the group may discuss homelessness and its causes and assemble toiletry kits for local homeless shelters. These activities show kids how to create real change by identifying and addressing needs in their local community.